Kingston is located halfway between Montréal and Toronto and is easily accessible by plane, car and train.
Depending on where you live, you may need to cross the border and perhaps require certain documents to enter and compete in Canada. Please be sure to understand what you require before you arrive to prevent any problems entering the country.
Please see the below information about ground transportation, border crossing and VISA requirements.
The Toronto Pearson, Ottawa and Montréal Trudeau International Airports are all located within a 3 hour driving distance to Kingston. Located in New York, USA, the Syracuse Hancock and Buffalo Niagara international airports are also accessible by car.
Toronto Pearson International Airport
Toronto Pearson International Airport is the only airport that offers direct flights into and out of Kingston (flight duration of approximately 1 hour). The Union Pearson Express provides a 25 minute shuttle serve from Pearson airport to Toronto’s Union Train Station.
Additionally, Coach Canada has a bus services 3 times daily to and from Toronto Pearson Airport and the Queen’s University campus.
Ontario Coachway offers shared door to door airport shuttle.
VIA Rail Canada offers train service to and from Downtown Toronto and Kingston, however transportation must be arranged between Downtown Toronto and the Toronto Pearson International Airport.
For more ground transportation options to and from Toronto Pearson International Airport, including available car rental services, please click here.
Ottawa International Airport
VIA Rail Canada offers train service to and from Downtown Ottawa and Kingston, however transportation must be arranged between Downtown Ottawa and the Ottawa International Airport.
Montréal Trudeau International Airport
VIA Rail Canada offers train service to and from Downtown Montréal and the Montréal Trudeau International Airport. A free minibus service is available between the VIA station in Dorval and the Montréal Trudeau International Airport. More information here.
Items to have when crossing the border:
– A copy of the sales invoice of the boat(s) and sails (to prove that equipment was purchased in the home country and applicable taxes were paid).
– Trailer registration and insurance documents
– If you are towing someone else’s boat and/or trailer, bring a letter from the owner stating that you are authorized to transport the boat and will only be reimbursed for travelling costs (fuel, accommodation, meals). If you are transporting boats for a set fee, you will be considered a common carrier and thus need operating permits.
– Pre-register for the event on-line or have the regatta office prepared to confirm participation by telephone
– If you are driving someone else’s car (including parents) – carry a letter signed by the owner stating that the driver is authorized to drive the car across the border.
– If anyone in the car is a minor – carry a letter from the parent or guardian authorizing a person of legal age to take the minor across the border.
If you require a visitor VISA, you will need a letter of invitation from CORK as the event organizer. Please register online for the event and contact the CORK office as soon as possible with the following information so we can issue the invitation letter:
Full Name as It Appears on Passport
Date of Birth
Date of arrival in Canada
Date of Departure from Canada
Electronic Travel Authorization
The Government of Canada has recently introduced a new entry requirement, known as an Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA), which applies to visa-exempt* foreign nationals travelling to or transiting Canada by air. U.S. citizens and travelers with a valid Canadian visa are exempt from this requirement.
Effective March 15, 2016, all visa-exempt foreign nationals must obtain an ETA before they board a flight to Canada. If you or anyone in your party are not U.S. citizens or not travelling with a valid Canadian visa, please visit the Government of Canada’s website at least 72 hours prior to your trip to complete your application. You will need your passport, credit card, and an email address. The eTA cost is C$7 per traveller and is valid for up to five years.