Be paired with an experienced, Sail Canada certified race officer for a circle at a CORK event.
Activities -Work side-by-side with RO as they:
- Represent RC at team meetings and coach meetings
- Determine signal boat location, course axis, and length
- Determine start-line and gate lengths
- Communicate with mark layers to get lines and marks in place
- Call start lines and decide on postponements, individual, or general recalls
- Manage race target time and mid-race changes for wind shifts and pressure changes
- Call finish lines (except for trapezoid courses)
- Use voice recorders to document starting sequences and finishes
- Back ashore, deal with scoring inquiries, redress requests, team debriefs, issue resolution, etc.
- Provincially certified Club Race Officer (working towards Regional)
- Sail Canada certified Regional Race Officer (working towards National)
- Physically capable of working on a medium sized (7-11m) boat for up to 8 hours/day
You’ll be paired with a National or higher-level RO. An attempt will be made to have RROs work on a Sail Canada National or higher-level event.
In your expression of interest, please indicate your current certification level.
Please note that this development role is not a core volunteer position; you will have no other task than to shadow and work with the RO. CORK will not be able to reimburse travel or living expenses, but your club or your Provincial Sailing Association may be able to assist. You can take advantage of reduced rate accommodation at Queen’s or our other accommodation partners here.